Thursday, July 16, 2009

Frazier Family of North Carolina

Our Frazier line comes from Clan Fraser. My 6th great-grandfather was George Thomas Fraizer born about 1725 in Inverness, Scotland. He died about 1790 in Guilford County, NC.

You won't find our Fraizer family listed in Douglas Kelly's "Carolina Scots" because they didn't come by way of the Cape Fear River t
o the Carolina coast. Nor are they recorded in the historical books of the Presbyterian churches, the predominant faith of most Scots at this time.

George Thomas Fraizer arrived in Pennsylvania. Some records indicate around York County. Since Pennsylvania was the foundation of the Quaker religion in
America, George might have converted to Quakerism at this time. The Quakers kept excellent records that have survived the last couple of centuries, and it is by these records we have been able to trace George Thomas Frazier and his descendants.

They cam
e down "The Great Wagon Road" to North Carolina settling in Orange County, which later became Guilford County. The Quakers first established New Garden Friends Meeting, which became the cornerstone of all the other Quaker churches in the south. Later they established Centre Friends Meeting about 1752 in southeast Guilford County near the Randolph County border. My Frazier ancestors helped with the early establishment of this church. The first photo of this post is of a monument with a sketched inscription of what the original church looked like. The second photo is a memorial to the James Fraizer family who is recorded in the records as being buried here, but no tombstone has survived. This is also the case with my 3rd great-grandmother, Nancy Frazier Saferight.

The Frasers of Scotland are descended from three brothers who arrived in 1066, according to Master James Fraser, 17th century minister of Wardlaw-Kirkhill on the south shore of Beauly Firth. Two main Fraser lines evolved in northern Scotland. One was through Sir Alexander Fraser who married Bruce's sister. This family line held Cairnburg Castle, Aberdeenshire. The other family line is from Sir Simon Fraser, brother of Alexander, who founded the House of Lovat in Inverness-shire.

The lands of Fraser Castle (shown in the photo on the left) was given by James II in exchange for land near Stirling in 1454. Today's castle was built by Lord Fraser in 1633. Cluny Castle nearby was also a Fraser landmark. Fraser Castle is now owned and operated by The National Trust of Scotland. The castle is open for visitation.

There are so many insightful details to Clan Fraser and their contribution to Scotland that I'll be cov
ering them in various upcoming posts. In the meantime, if you are interested in joining Clan Frasier, visit their website for more information.

Clan Fraser of North America
Clan Fraser of Scotland and the United Kingdom


Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

13 comments:

  1. thanks for the information on my Family history, if it is actually mine!!! I gat a few questions i hope u can assist with . I am a black bahamian from the bahamas, we r settled in eleuthera. I need to know if we are an official clan line, or was the name given by our master during the slave peroid, and if so, i can sure use some help tracing where your ancestors brought me from. thank u & "our hope is in the Lord"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information and your hard work. I descend from George Thomas; Thomas; David; Vincent; Robert Nathaniel; Harmon and Mae Frazier. I appreciate any info in learning about my heritage. JT Brown, Oklahoma City. brown.jt@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perforrm247, Your line probably received your name from your owners. As to where your line came from, that would require further investigation. My direct line did not stay there and so I've not tried to do more research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JT Brown,

    I do not have any information on George Thomas Frazier's son, Thomas. I have children listed for Thomas' brothers, Isaac and John. Here is a link to my family GEDCOM file on Ancestry.com.

    http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jt4novels&id=I1498

    ReplyDelete
  5. George Thomas Frazier is my sixth great-grandfather too which I believe makes us related. I can't find any information in respect to his parents & ancestors. Below is a list of how I am related to George Thomas Frazier. They are all males until the birth of my grandma, my mother, & me.
    George Thomas Frazier (1725-1790)is my 6th great grandfather
    Thomas Frazier (1757 - 1844)GGGGG
    Thomas Frazier Jr(1789 - 1836)GGGG
    John Jackson Frazier (1820 - 1884)GGG
    Daniel Thomas Frazier (1842 - 1921)GG
    Alva Frazier (1869 - about 1903)Great Grandfather
    Mary Irene Frazier (1901 - 1975)My Grandma
    Joyce JoAnne Neal (1934 - 2007)My Mom
    Vicki Johnson Kenter Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cousin and I are decedents of Gorge Thomas Frazier. we are Researching that his father is Simon Frazier/Simeon Frazier but it lookes like the last name has changed from Frazier to Frasier. Does anyone know if this is correct? Or if this is still the same bloodline?
    If anyone would like to contact me my email is jessiefrazier09@gmail.com
    or
    Skylerelbert@gmail.com( this is my cousin)
    We are always looking for new family members!
    My lines are:
    George Thomas Frazier
    Thomas Frazier
    David Frazier
    John C. Frazier
    James Nathan Frazier
    James Joseph Frazier
    James Henry Frazier
    Darrell Elbert Frazier
    Eddie Louis Frazier
    And me Jessie Nicole Frazier!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking for Thomas Jefferson Fraser (1802- 1860) son of Mordecai (about 1775) and Mary Fraser. Do you have either of them in your line?Thomas also had a brother named Lewis (1807-1887). If you have any information I would really appreciate it. Email me @ cullenwheeler@yahoo.com

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I believe that I am a direct descendent to the fraser. I would like to get in contact with you and see if these frasers are the ones I'm looking for. Contact me at tld62957@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am Bruce Alexander Frazier Jr. My father the same grandfather Stanley Alexander Frazier. Im from Norfolk, Va my father as well but i think my granddad is from Ga.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So excited to find this. George Thomas Frazier was my fourth great-grandfather! So happy to find out that I have Quaker ancestors. When I read about the Quakers in Orange, North Carolina I hoped that the Fraziers were among them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi again. My line:
    George Thomas...Mary Pugh (Maria?)
    William Frazier...Zilpha Hays (Hayes)
    George Jackson Campbell...Mary M Frazier
    Madison Gash....Sarah Jane Campbell
    Isaac Harrison Eason...Parala Gash
    Leslie Eason...Ola Ruth Thomas
    My sisters and me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One more comment if you don't mind. I was just at familysearch.org, run by LDS Church. George Thomas is listed as having three fathers, depending on which link:
    1) John Frazier/Mary or Mary Falconer, linking them directly from Aberdeen, Scotland to North Carolina. Mary
    2) Alexander Frazier, linking to Philadelphia (his death)
    3) Lord Lovat Simon Fox Frazer/Mary Falconer. Mary here is said to have been born in Virginia, died in York, PA.
    Any idea which may be correct?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am also interested in information of the parents of George Thomas 1725. I have heard he is a "natural" child of Simon the Fox Fraser and Mary Falconer, but have not seen evidence. Anyone know more about this? My connection to George Thomas is as follows:
    George Thomas Frazier 1725
    Francis Henry Frazier 1766
    John Frazier 1786
    Francis Henry Frazier 1811
    Nathan Frank Frazier 1846
    Nathan Frank Frazier II 1882
    Nathan Frank Frazier III 1911
    Nathan Frank Frazier IV 1937
    Me-Carol Frazier

    ReplyDelete