Thursday, July 23, 2009

Book Review - "My Heart's in the Lowlands"


By Liz Curtis Higgs

This is a delightful travel book - ten days in bonny Scotland. I picked it up while purchasing one of her fiction novels. I don't know why, but I started reading this one first. Perhaps it's because I have a dream of visiting Scotland some day, the homeland of my ancestors. And it's about Galloway, a place I'd planned to do some research since my gg-grandmother was Elizabeth Galloway who married a Hudson (my maiden name).

Liz writes as if you're traveling with her and she includes descriptions of the atmosphere, not just places and things. As you're reading, you get a sense of what it would have felt like to be there with her. Although, I must admit, her writing makes one's desire to visit Scotland even greater. She layers in many historical details, a bit of poetry from Robert Burns, and takes the time to explain some of the vocabulary differences between the U.K. and the U.S.

Even though Liz does an excellent job of describing things, the sketches that are included throughout the book give even more details. For instance, she described some of the Scottish cows, but when I saw it in the sketch, it was like "now I get it." After reading that chapter we took a trip to the Carolina coast, and there were some cows in a pasture. My husband and in-laws were commenting that they had never seen cows like that before. I remembered the images from this book and was able to explain that they were Scottish cows.

One thing I didn't discover until I had almost finished the book was the Scottish glossary in the back. I've created a Scottish glossary for writing purposes, but it's wonderful to have this resource as well. It includes several words I didn't include in mine.

Liz's fun personality glows in her writing and you get a glimpse of her faith. I'd love to meet her one day at a writing conference. Maybe I'll get that chance through ACFW, where we are both members of American Christian Fiction Writers.

It's a wonderful book. If you enjoy learning about Scotland, even if you aren't considering a trip there anytime soon, I would still recommend reading it. My Heart's in the Lowlands is a great experience!

To learn more about Liz Curtis Higgs and where to purchase this book, click here.
Kindly Bookmark and Share it:

2 comments:

  1. I read this book a couple years ago and I loved it! My mother had a lot of Scottish ancestry and she was always fascinated by all things Scotish. I guess she passed it on to me. Great book, great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to win this book, I have to drive 35 miles to get to a book store or either order on line, so I don't get a lot of new books as I am retired.

    mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

    ReplyDelete